Subtitles are a crucial part of any content. You can enable and disable Subtitles in Apple TV by navigating to Settings and Subtitles or Closed Captioning section using your Apple TV remote.
Subtitles have been a huge asset for people with hearing impairment. Not only does it help them understand better, but it also assists those viewers who don’t understand the video language. In this post, we are going to list down ways How to turn on/off subtitles on Apple TV.
Prerequisites for turning on subtitles on Apple TV
Here are a few prerequisites for turning on subtitles on Apple TV:
- Make sure you have a membership on Apple TV
- Your Apple Device is connected to a good Internet connection
- You have enabled software updates on Apple TV
Turning on subtitles on Apple TV
To turn on subtitles on Apple TV follow these steps:
- Open Main Menu on your Apple TV
- Navigate to Settings (gear icon) option
- Under Settings tap on General
- Now, Click on Accessibility
- Choose Closed Captions and SDH and closed captions will be enabled on your Apple TV
Apple TV 4 and 4K
Apple TV 4th generation users can enable settings by simply swiping down on their Apple TV remote. Click on the Subtitles options and choose English or any available option to turn on subtitles.
Turning off subtitles on Apple TV
The process to turn off subtitles on Apple TV is quite similar. The only change you need to make is to select “OFF” in the subtitles. Here’s how you can do it:
- Launch Main Menu
- Navigate to Settings
- Under Settings tap on General
- Now, Click on Accessibility
- Deselect Closed Captions and SDH
- That’s it and closed captions will be disabled
If you have Apple TV 4 or 4K, you can turn off subtitles by swiping on your Apple TV remote. Swipe down on your remote, click on subtitles and choose “OFF”.
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv Samsung
Here is how to turn on subtitles on Apple TV Samsung:
- On your Samsung TV remote click on the down arrow button
- Menu options will be enabled on the screen click on the subtitles
- Scroll across and tap on subtitle language
- Under Subtitles, click on the language of your choice and you are done
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv Roku
You can turn on subtitles on Apple TV Roku by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Launch Apple TV on Roku
- Select any movie/series and play it
- Tap on the screen to get the menu options
- Navigate to the comment box icon on the right corner
- Under Subtitles, select language and the subtitles will be turned on
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv Netflix
To enable subtitles on Apple TV Netflix you need to follow these steps:
- Launch Netflix App on your Apple TV
- Pick any show or movie and play it
- Scroll down on the touchpad of your Apple TV remote to bring Menu options
- Under subtitles, select the language and that’s it subtitles will be turned on
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv on Firestick
Here’s how to turn on subtitles on Apple TV on Firestick:
- Play any show/movie of your choice
- Click on Menu using your remote
- Now, click on Subtitles
- Under subtitles, choose your preferred subtitle language
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv Xbox
You can enable subtitles on Apple TV Xbox by following these steps:
- Open Apple Tv
- Stream any content you wish to watch
- Now, on your remote click on the down-arrow button
- Subtitles and Audio options will be enabled on top of your screen
- Select the Subtitles option and enable it by selecting the subtitle language
- Click on the Up-arrow button and Exit the menu
How to Turn on Subtitles on Apple tv PS4
To turn on subtitles on Apple TV ps4 you need to follow these steps:
- Launch Apple Tv on ps4
- Choose any series/movie and play it
- Click “UP” and menu options will appear on top
- Now, Click on “Closed Captions”
- Choose “ON” and subtitles will appear on your streaming video
Why can’t I get English subtitles on Apple TV?
Usually, Apple TV provides English subtitles for most shows and movies, which can be enabled in Settings > Accessibility > Closed Captioning + SDH. However, if you have enabled it and still English subtitles won’t appear then, it might be because the show/movie is unavailable in that subtitle language.
Though it is suggested to switch to different content to check whether you are facing the same issue in all the videos or it’s just one particular show. If English subtitles are not appearing in any of the videos, then you should contact Apple TV customer service.
Common issues and troubleshooting
Apple TV subtitles and Closed captioning usually work perfectly. However, users sometimes face a few difficulties in their subtitle settings. Here are some of the common issues faced by Apple TV subscribers and methods on how to fix them:
The subtitle is not in sync
Subtitles not being in sync is one issue that users have faced while streaming videos on Apple TV. Usually, the time frame contains a difference in subtitles and audio of around 30 seconds to one minute. However, here are a few suggestions that might help resolve this issue:
- Restart your Apple TV
Subtitles tend to appear out of sync due to technical errors in the systems, which cause the subtitles not to load properly. However, these errors are temporary. You can resolve this issue by simply turning off your Apple TV for a few minutes and then restarting it.
- Keep your device Updated
Another thing you should do is check for updates on your Apple TV. Using an outdated version of the App can cause differences in subtitles and might even cause issues in the overall streaming performance. Therefore, check for updates, and here’s how you can do it:
You can set automatic updates on your Apple TV by –
- Go to settings on your Apple TV
- Click on System
- Select Software Updates
- Lastly, the Turn On Automatically Update option
This will ensure your Apple TV doesn’t miss out on any new updates on your system.
You can also manually update your Apple TV by following this method –
- Go to Settings
- Click on systems
- Now select Software Updates
- Click on Update Software
- Check whether update is available or not
- If yes click on Download
Subtitles not displaying
Another common issue Apple TV users face is subtitles not displaying on the screen. If you are facing the same issue, you can fix it by navigating to subtitle settings, disabling subtitles, and enabling it again. This is a simple yet effective method.
Subtitle not available in different languages
Movies and shows on Apple TV do have several subtitle languages available to enhance the streaming experience of viewers. However, if you notice a particular not available, it might be due to content licensing.
So, here it is. The entire process of Turning on and off subtitles on Apple TV. Subtitles and Closed Captioning are great measures to enhance the streaming experience of viewers and the steps being so easy is just icing on the cake. In this post, we have also mentioned a few common issues faced by Apple TV viewers and ways to fix the issue. We hope this article was helpful to you.