IMovie is a video editing app through which you can add subtitles and edit videos on your MacBook, iPhone, and Ipad. You can easily add subtitles in iMovie by navigating to the “Title” icon, selecting your preferred subtitle style, and adding subtitles manually on the iMovie app.
In this post, we will list down a proper step-by-step guide on how to add subtitles in iMovie on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad.
How to Add Subtitles in iMovie on Mac
You can easily add subtitles in iMovie on Mac. All you have to do is follow these simple steps on your MacBook.
- Firstly, open IMovie on your Mac
- Tap on New project and create a new project
- Click on “File” and “Import media”
- Select the clip or video you want to add subtitles to
- Drag your file to the timeline
- Now, Tap on the “Title” sign at the top of your screen
- Once you have clicked on the title, pick any title style of your preference
- Double-tap on the preferred title style to add
- Now, to add text to your video you need to first go to the viewer
- Tap on “Text Box” and enter your text (subtitle) you can directly paste the text and add subtitles.
- You can also playback the video to check the alignment of subtitles with the video and see if any changes need to be made.
Note: You can also see a preview of the selected subtitle style. Just click on the option and drag it towards the left side of the screen to the right side and the program will provide you a preview of the subtitle style.
How to Add Subtitles in IMovie iPhone
To add subtitles in iMovie iPhone you need to follow these below-mentioned steps:
- Open IMovie on your iPhone
- Click on New Project
- Tap on “File” and click on “Import new media”
- Select the video you wish to add subtitles to
- Pick the part of the clip where you want to add subtitles
- Once you have selected the clip, click on “Title”
- Under the title, select your desired subtitle style
- Now, Tap on “Title text here” on your clip, and add your text here
How to Add Subtitles in IMovie iPad
Similar to iPhone, you can also add subtitles in IMovie Ipad by navigating to the titles in the Imovie. Here are the steps that you need to follow to add subtitles in Ipad:
- Launch iMovie on your Ipad and choose a new project
- Now, click on the “File” option
- Tap on “Import new media”
- Click on the video you want to add subtitles on
- Drag the video to the timeline
- Select the part of the clip where you want to add subtitles
- Now, click on the option “Titles”
- Pick your desired title style from the available options
- Now, Click on “Title text here” on the clip
- Start adding your text and adjust the time duration
Can Imovie Automatically Add Subtitles?
No, you can’t add subtitles automatically on Imovie as it doesn’t provide a feature to upload caption files. But you can upload subtitles to iMovie manually frame by frame by either typing the text or by directly copy pasting it on the clip. However, if you want to add subtitles automatically, you might have to use a different software.
How to Add Automatic Subtitles in iMovie
Automatic subtitles can’t be added in IMovie however, you add automated subtitles in different software such as Sonix, and here’s how you can do it:
- Navigate your video and upload it in Sonix and receive an automated transcript
- Now, Edit the transcript
- Tap on the “Subtitles” icon visible in the drop-down menu
- Under subtitles, select the duration and character length
- Lastly, Click on the “Burn-in” option in the subtitles menu
The subtitles can take a few minutes to get added to the video. So wait for a few minutes and your video will be ready to be uploaded anywhere you wish.
Can You Use Srt in Imovie?
No, you can’t use an Srt file in iMovie. To upload subtitles on iMovie you need to click on the video clip and add subtitles manually by either typing the text or copy-pasting it. Any automatic subtitle file won’t work on iMovie. However, you can use Sonix software to upload automatic subtitles in your video.
We hope now you can easily add subtitles on iMovie on your Apple devices. Usually, the steps to add subtitles on Ipad, iPhone, or Mac are usually quite similar as they all include tapping on files, importing media, and clicking on titles to add texts. Along with adding subtitles, we have also addressed questions regarding automatic subtitles and how they can be added in iMovie.
We hope all your queries were solved through this article. In case there are any additional questions then let us know in the comments.